Come join our team at The Duluth Area Family YMCA! Be a part of a dynamic community driven organization that offers you the opportunity for career advancement, life-long learning and leadership opportunities. As part of our mission to promote healthy living, all employees receive a FREE MEMBERSHIP
at the Duluth Area Family YMCA.
Provide an enjoyable and safe sporting experience for youth basketball players (grades 3-5 & 6-8) while they learn individual and team game skills, sportsmanship, and fair play based on the YMCA values of respect, responsibility, caring, and honesty.
Position Scheduling: Wednesdays 3:15-5:45pm and Sat. 1:15-5:00pm
1. Designs, prepares, implements, and instructs weekly skills clinics for program participants in accordance with the ‘best practices’ in the fields of coaching youth sports, while maintaining the YMCA’s mission, goals, and core values.
2. Coaches one youth basketball team’s weekly practice and game, emphasizing teamwork, sportsmanship, and skill development. Arrives a minimum of 10 minutes prior to start of practice session and stays through snacks at the end of the game.
3. Teaches players the rules of basketball at an age appropriate level.
4. Referees games for younger group (grades 3-5) alongside the opposing team’s coach.
5. Conducts energizing, fun, safe, and educational sessions; provide positive feedback, constructive coaching, and encouragement to all participants.
6. Builds effective relationships with program participants and YMCA members; helps members connect with both each other and the YMCA.
7. Maintains working knowledge of health, wellness, basketball skills, and youth coaching trends within the industry, thereby providing effective information and support to program participants.
8. Keeps accurate program attendance records; ensures all program participants have paid prior to participating in the league practices or games.
9. Maintains required CRP/AED and first aid certifications.
10. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations as appropriate.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising for the Duluth Family YMCA.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma/GED
1. Knowledge of the rules, regulations, and game of basketball.
2. Prior experience playing basketball.
3. Required certifications: CPR/AED and First Aid (may obtain through the YMCA upon employment).
1. Two or more seasons coaching youth basketball.
1. Ability to conduct practices and games on the basketball court.
2. Ability to stand and move for up to 3 hours at a time.
3. Ability to demonstrate basketball skills used during practices and games.
4. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, jogging, standing, bending, reaching, lifting, dribbling, shooting, and officiating games.
The Duluth Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.