Duluth Area Family YMCA
Camp Miller Waterfront Director - Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lake, MN
|Active since||06-01-2017||Job category||Hospitality / Tourism / Recreat...|
|Location||Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lak...||Level||-|
|Educational level||GCSE / A-Level / Highscho...||Employment type||Seasonal|
|Hours||0||Salary||Stipend which includes wage and...|
To further the mission of the Camp Miller through the planning and delivery of activities at the camp’s waterfront that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the camper’s age and abilities. Provide management to the physical operation of the waterfront’s facilities and equipment.
Position Scheduling: Start late May
Essential Job Functions:
1. Plan, direct, and supervise a safe and fun waterfront program
• Write (with the help of Waterfront staff and lifeguards) lesson plans that meet camp goals.
• Evaluate aquatics abilities of campers and staff.
• Deliver creative swim and watercraft program activities.
• Conduct Waterfront/Camp Safety drills.
2. Train and supervise waterfront staff
• Assist in the planning and implementation of staff training.
• Train waterfront and counseling staff in their waterfront responsibilities.
• Supervise Waterfront staff in all areas of the waterfront including Boating, Fishing, Sailing, and Swim Lessons.
• Ensure Waterfront Specialists are following proper Policies and Procedures
• Supervise waterfront staff to provide a safe and high-quality program.
• Supervise the waterfront staff evaluation process.
• Implement the scheduling of waterfront staff.
• Directly supervise all staff at waterfront.
3. Manage the physical facilities and equipment in the waterfront program area
• Set up waterfront area prior to and during staff training.
• Teach and monitor proper use of equipment.
• Conduct initial and end-of-season inventory, and store equipment for safety.
• Check equipment, and make (or file for) repairs.
• Make repairs when possible.
• Conduct a daily check of equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
• Submit orders for equipment and supplies when needed, ensuring timely arrival of materials.
• Survey waterfront area daily, and keep the area free of hazards and debris.
4. Participate as a member of the camp management team to plan, direct, and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
• Work with Program Director and Waterfront Staff to develop a program curriculum, awards programs, and leadership programs.
• Assist in the planning of any special events on or near the waterfront.
• Participate in management and staff meetings.
Other Job Duties:
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned such as kitchen assistance, cabin supervising, etc.
Waterfront Director will have a direct relationship with the maintenance staff in terms of facility and equipment needs including docks and boats, etc. Waterfront director will have a relationship between the health care staff and waterfront staff for emergency management and care. Open communication is an essential part of all relationships.
Waterfront Director is responsible for the care and upkeep (with the assistance of the Camp Miller caretaker) of the docks, boat house, kayaks, canoes, sailboats, sails, snorkel gear, emergency equipment, and all other waterfront equipment
Qualifications (Minimum qualifications and experience)
• Previous experience in residential camping.
• 2+ years of college or experience
• Current certification in Lifeguard, First-Aid, and CPR. Willing to be certified in Waterfront Lifeguarding.
• Prior experience in the development and delivery of recreational programs.
• Experience in supervising others especially peers is desirable.
• Proficiency or knowledge about sailing is desirable
• Acting Knowledge of American Canoe Association teaching progression
• Experience supervising lifeguard staff in a pool or lake setting
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Training and experience in a variety of program activities offered at the camp.
• Ability to schedule and supervise staff.
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
• Knowledgeable in rigging and repairing sail boats and canoes
Physical Aspects of the Position:
• Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
• Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
• Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Some physical requirements of a Waterfront Director position could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate program equipment and activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper and staff activities/programs. Willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering program in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to various weather conditions.
The Duluth Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hospitality / Tourism / Recreation
|Industry / Industries||
Hospitality / Recreation / Travel
|Keywords||camp, adventure, program, specialist|