Duluth Area Family YMCA
Camp Miller Program Staff - Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lake, MN
|Active since||10-01-2017||Job category||Hospitality / Tourism / Recreat...|
|Location||Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lak...||Level||Entry level / Graduate|
|Educational level||GCSE / A-Level / Highscho...||Employment type||Seasonal|
|Hours||0||Salary||Stipend which includes wage and...|
To further the mission of Camp Miller through the planning and delivery of activities throughout camp programming areas that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the camper’s age and abilities.
Position Scheduling: Seasonal Employees will play a large role in programming during a time period of April through November or May through October.
• Must be 21 years of age
• 2+ years of college and/or outdoor education
• Must be able to obtain or become certified in First Aid/CPR (camp will provide certification)
• Ability to interact will all age levels, from youth to adult
• Prior experience in facilitating camp or outdoor programming
• Preferred if staff will obtain or become Lifeguard Certified (camp will provide certification)
• Experience facilitatin camp and/or outdoor programming
Essential Job Functions:
1. Plan, direct, and supervise programming for various retreat groups throughout the spring and fall.
• Coordinate group hosting duties with the Retreat and Hospitality Director including programming needs for each group, timeframe of a group’s stay, and lodging.
• Ensure that effective scheduling and lesson plans are prepared and implemented so that they meet camp outcomes and the abilities of retreat attendees.
• Maintain contact with retreat group leaders in case emergencies arise or scheduling needs to altered.
2. Plan, direct, and supervise assigned summer camp program area
• Candidates for this position will take on a summer program staff leadership role depending on qualifications and preferences.
• Write (with the help of other programming staff) lessons that meet camp goals.
• Evaluate program delivery abilities of staff within program area and other areas throughout camp
• Evaluate the success of the program and the development of the camper’s abilities and skills in various program activities.
3. Ensure that camp staff, campers, and retreat attendees know and follow safety and educational procedure during camp programs.
• Assist in the implementation of staff training.
• Provide guidelines for programs utilizing camp equipment.
• Ensure campers, staff, and retreat attendees follow safety procedures and policies throughout their time at camp.
• Respond in the case of an emergency, contact Camp Director if necessary.
• Transport camper, staff member, or retreat attendee to emergency facilities if needed
4. Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment throughout camp including lodges, program areas, etc.
• Oversee daily check of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair
• Ensure program and lodging areas are kept free of hazards and debris
• Coordinate with Retreat and Hospitality Director and Property Manager the housekeeping and maintenance needs before, during, and after retreat and event groups have come through camp.
Other Job Duties:
• Attend leadership staff meetings throughout seasonal employment period.
• Maintain clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff.
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders.
• Seasonal Staff summer positions could include the following: Program Director, Adventure Director, Waterfront Director, Leadership Director, CIT/LIT Coordinator, Day Camp Coordinator, Program Specialists (Climbing Specialist, Corral Staff, Biking Specialist, Naturalist, Garden Specialist), Counselor Coordinators, or Cabin Counselors. Be sure to not on the Y application under the position desired section or on your submitted resume which position(s) you are applying for.
• Seasonal staff will have direct working relationships with each other, the Retreat and Hospitality Director, Property Manager, Resident Camp Director, and Executive Director. They will also assist in supervising summer camp staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Training and experience in teaching program to adults and children
• Desire and ability to work with children and adults outdoors
Physical Aspects of the Position:
• Ability to communicate and work with all groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff
• Ability to observe camper/attendee behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
• Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist participants in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers
Some physical requirements of a program position could be endurance including standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate program equipment and program activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs. Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering program in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather conditions.
The Duluth Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hospitality / Tourism / Recreation
|Industry / Industries||
Hospitality / Recreation / Travel
|Keywords||camp, adventure, program, specialist|