Duluth Area Family YMCA
Camp Miller Program Specialist - Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lake, MN
|Active since||06-01-2017||Job category||Hospitality / Tourism / Recreat...|
|Location||Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lak...||Level||Entry level / Graduate|
|Educational level||GCSE / A-Level / Highscho...||Employment type||Seasonal|
|Hours||0||Salary||Stipend which includes wage and...|
Specialists are in charge of development and implementation of assigned programming area, as well as primary caregivers for assigned cabin groups. The Specialist is responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out assigned program and guide campers in their personal growth and daily living skills.
Postition Scheduling: June through August
• One year of college or equivalent completed
• Must have competency in designated program areas including: safety/ risk management, personal mastery of designated program areas, ability to teach program area to all ages of youth
• Must be able to obtain or become certified in First Aid/CPR (camp will provide certification)
• Summer camp experience, day or residential
• Ability to interact with all age levels
• Preferred if specialists will obtain or become Lifeguard Certified (camp will provide certification)
• Faciliating and leading
• Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes
• Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth
• Assure campers are properly supervised at all times
• Be aware of and implement safety guidelines
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning, and leading those as assigned
• Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
• Help your camper to be a good listener and participant in programs
• Program Specialists need to maintain open, respectful communication with all staff, volunteers, and anyone associated with Camp Miller
Other Staff Duties:
• Understand the development needs of youth
• Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner
• Demonstrate knowledge and skill in designated camp program areas
• Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff
• Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply behavior-management techniques
• Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply management techniques
• Kitchen duty as assigned including meal prep and dishes.
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers
Some physical requirements of a Program Specialist position could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, climbing, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs; willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and animals such as bugs, snakes, bats, etc.
*Program Specialist Specifics:
• Specialist would need experience in teaching art education in camps or school setting
Naturalist / Garden Specialist
• 1+ year of college education in Outdoor Education, Environmental
Education, or Environmental Studies
• Experience teaching: Interpretative techniques, outdoor skills, and environmental education
• Specialist would need experience in Mountain Biking, proper bicycle maintenance, and follow proper bicycle safety expectations
• Corral staff need experience in Horseback riding and facilitating riding experiences with youth and others
• Knowledge in working with horses whether it is riding, first-aid, tack needs, horse assessment, etc.
Make sure to write on the Y application (position desired section) or on your submitted resume which position(s) you are applying for.
The Duluth Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hospitality / Tourism / Recreation
|Industry / Industries||
Hospitality / Recreation / Travel
|Keywords||camp, adventure, program, specialist|