Duluth Area Family YMCA
Camp Miller Program Director - Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lake, MN
|Active since||06-01-2017||Job category||Hospitality / Tourism / Recreat...|
|Location||Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lak...||Level||Entry level / Graduate|
|Educational level||GCSE / A-Level / Highscho...||Employment type||Seasonal|
|Hours||0||Salary||Stipend which includes wage and...|
The Program Director’s role is to help promote the overall mission of camp through planning and delivery of all programs, activities, and events. The Program Director ensures all camp clientele are safe, and that activities are appropriate to the participants age and abilities. They need the ability to manage multiple tasks, oversee and manage staff, and role model and implement the Y’s four core values of honesty, caring, respect, and responsibility.
• Must be 21 years of age
• Must be able to obtain or become certified in First Aid/CPR (camp will provide certification)
• Ability to interact with all age levels
• Prior experience in administrative or leadership roles within similar type camps
• College Graduate
• Experience supervising staff in a camp setting
• Preferred if staff will obtain or become Lifeguard Certified (camp will provide certification)
Essential Job Function:
1. Deliver a fun program to campers and participants.
• Ensure staff develop lesson plans (schedule of activities counselors are planning on completing with their campers) are prepared and implemented that meet camp outcomes and the abilities of the campers.
• Evaluate program delivery abilities of staff.
• Deliver progressive program activities. (Assist Director in creating more progressive programming throughout camp activities)
• Evaluate the success of the program and the development of the campers’ abilities and skills in various program activities
• Coordinate all camp programs and campfire activities with other staff. (Assess appropriateness of counselor choices in all activities)
2. Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures during camp programs.
• Assist in the implementation of staff training
• Provide guidelines for programs utilizing camp equipment
• Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures in all program areas
• Respond in the case of an emergency, contact Camp Director if necessary
• Transport camper or staff member to emergency facilities if needed
3. Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in all program areas.
• Oversee daily check of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair
• Ensure that program areas are kept free of hazards and debris
4. Develop and implement schedules and records for all areas of camp programming and facilities
• Create camper and group program and activity schedules
• Develop and supervise staff schedule for programs and activities
• Collect and file camper paperwork (health, insurance forms, waivers, etc.) Coordinate health information with nursing staff
• Collect and evaluate records; report and evaluate camp program and activity areas
Other Job Duties:
• Attend administrative staff meetings
• Maintain clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders
• Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
• Provide ongoing program ideas to counseling staff and program area staff
The Program Director will have direct working relationships with the Resident Camp Director, and program staff. They will also assist in supervising counseling staff and program activity staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Training and experience in teaching program to adults and children
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors
Physical Aspects of the Position:
• Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff
• Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
• Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers
Some physical requirements of a program position could be endurance including standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate program equipment and program activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs. Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering program in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather conditions.
The Duluth Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hospitality / Tourism / Recreation
|Industry / Industries||
Hospitality / Recreation / Travel
|Keywords||camp, program, director,|