Duluth Area Family YMCA
Camp Miller Counselor Coordinator - Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lake, MN
|Active since||06-01-2017||Job category||Hospitality / Tourism / Recreat...|
|Location||Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lak...||Level||Entry level / Graduate|
|Educational level||GCSE / A-Level / Highscho...||Employment type||Seasonal|
|Hours||0||Salary||Stipend which includes wage and...|
Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper. The Counselor Coordinator is responsible to serve as a resource and primary supervisor for these counselors with camper issues and provide ongoing evaluation and assistance with counselors and cabin groups.
Position Scheduling: June through August
• Must be 20 years of age
• Must be able to obtain or become certified in First Aid/CPR (camp will provide certification)
• Preferred if staff will obtain or become Lifeguard Certified (camp will provide certification)
• Ability to interact with all age levels
• Experience supervising in a summer camp setting
• Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within activities, and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes
• Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth
• Assure campers are properly supervised at all times by counselors
• Be aware of and implement safety guidelines
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning, and leading those as assigned
• Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
• Ensure counselors are effectively providing a positive experience for youth campers
• Counselor Coordinators need to maintain open, respectful communication with all staff, volunteers, and anyone associated with Camp Miller
Other Staff Duties:
• Understand the development needs of youth
• Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner
• Demonstrate knowledge and skill in program areas designated camp program areas
• Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff
• Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply behavior-management techniques.
• Other duties as assigned such as kitchen assistance, cabin supervising, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Training and experience in a variety of program activities offered at the camp.
• Ability to schedule and supervise children.
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid; must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers
Some physical requirements of a Counselor Coordinator position could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, climbing, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs; willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and animals such as bugs, snakes, bats, etc
The Duluth Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hospitality / Tourism / Recreation
|Industry / Industries||
Hospitality / Recreation / Travel
|Keywords||camp, counselor, ymca|